windfall: a sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Heart Contains Infinitely Many Rooms 2

I was looking at a poster advertising the newest movie version of Dracula--years ago--and the poster said "Love never dies."

I believe that now. My father died and his body has gone but his love for me and my love for him didn't die. If his spirit has taken up residence in my heart then love is there and love is energy. That love gave me the energy to do some amazingly difficult things.

There's room in the heart for lots of people; they don't have to all be dead either. My first friend--I think we were 6 or 7-- on Shady Avenue Ext. lives in my heart. There was an almost 50 year gap when we didn't see each other or talk to each other, but we got together through facebook. (Oh, this new technology!) It's like those 50 years didn't pass but the heart doesn't have a concept of time. I experienced first love when I was 16 and I spent a lot of time arguing with my heart and telling it that those feelings of first love SHOULD NOT EXIST. But I have learned that the heart doesn't bargain. A door stayed open for 40+ years and the figure of first love has moved into its new and proper abode; the door that swung open for what seemed like an eternity to me has gently closed. Everybody who lives in there, including my husband and son, are getting along great.

No comments:

Post a Comment