windfall: a sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Steppenwolf and the Sadness of Letting Go 4

It seems that I've been pushed into a creek that keeps on flowing. I'm not trying to grab hold of a rock or a tree root to rescue myself; I just have to go where I'm pushed.

And yes I am sad that I have to let go of the wolf's physical powers. This means that I can't work with incontinent people anymore. This means that I can't give people showers anymore. All sane people would respond: "So What?? Why did you want to in the first place?"

I had a job recently where I had to help a lady take a shower in a shower stall with no rubber mats on the floor. And this lovely lady was almost independent, she just needed a little help. But I was terrified. Those bones of hers would most surely break if she slipped AND IT WOULD BE ALL MY FAULT. So I asked the people in charge to put rubber mats on the shower stall floor, but I was ignored. The Steppenwolf threw back his handsome head and howled with laughter. He could do it. He could manage without the rubber mats on the floors. He had supreme confidence in his wolf powers.

And so we're back to trying to roll a 300 pound man onto his side so that I could put a diaper on him. And the wolf agreed; it's over. Now what do we do?

I'm still trying to answer this question; it may take a while. How do I keep the best of the Steppenwolf while giving up his physical supremacy?

Every time I write fiction I keep centering on one of several themes: the most important one is the working class/blue collar way of life vs. a middle class way of existence. I always end up glorifying the working class and people who work with their hands.

The wolf will not let me down.










1 comment:

  1. The power of the wolf is not in it's physical strength but in cunning.

    ReplyDelete