windfall: a sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My Beloved Husband

I've lived with my husband Peter for 35 years, married for 34.

When I met him at a Sunday brunch in March of 1976 I was mad at the whole world. I was married before I met him and my ex-husband and I had attempted to reconcile. I emerged from that period of time happy that we were divorced and I could just leave. Then a friend brought me to a Sunday brunch in the "Old City" of Philadelphia, and I met my future husband. The first thing I noticed about him was his blue eyes. I could tell he was a happy person because his eyes shone with the light that only comes with inner joy.

Why was I mad at the whole world? Other than the failed reconciliation, I just felt that I fit in nowhere (the wolf). So I had this idea to go to Israel and find a place for myself there; I was quite serious about this. But here was this person with blue eyes. And he was cooking omelets for people. It amazed me; I had never seen a man cook like he did. He had his vegetables all chopped and organized. Wanting to make contact with him, I approached him and said: "Is there anything I can do to help?" That was the first thing I ever said to him. He responded: "You can cut up the mushrooms." So I did. Then I watched him cook and I was amazed again to see that he flipped his omelets up into the air and caught them with the frying pan.

Peter and others have told me that women, subconsciously, at a certain point "go shopping" for the future father of their children. Who knows? But somebody who cared enough to flip omelets would make a very good father. And he has been.

It was love at first sight. Yes, that really does happen. We had one date after which we knew that we loved each other. And the Steppenwolf was supremely happy; Peter has been a superb companion for him. My husband knew the wolf immediately and gives him the respect he deserves.


1 comment:

  1. And so it goes. The Tiger and the lamb have no business lying down together but the wolf and the tiger can share the hunt.

    ReplyDelete