windfall: a sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Signs From the Other World

Part 3. The American Eagle and Five Male Turkeys

This environment keeps signaling me over time, telling me I'm in a good place; a good place for making a living? No. A place to breathe? Yes.

It was during the first year we lived here, I was working as a counselor, and my job was an hour's drive away. I didn't mind this because gas was much cheaper ten years ago and the drive itself was beautiful, educational, dynamic. My workplace was in Kingston, a kind of sister city to Wilkes-Barre, PA. To return home I had to drive a short distance on a super-highway, then take a left hand turn off this road. The turn always gave my nerves a little jolt; you had to swerve a bit to get into the extreme left lane in time to turn and the road was a small one and poorly marked. However, once the turn was made I had almost an hour of driving through forests and meadows.

One day on my way home I came upon five young male turkeys hurriedly crossing the road. I skidded to a stop. They were walking in a line; they weren't in a flock and I could tell they were male because although skinny and not well-developed they had already gained their red male crowns. They looked a little startled and I sat in my car and laughed; they were comical and certainly not like anything I'd seen before.

Speed up ten years to the present time; this area has been deluged by rain and flood, certainly the worst flood in one hundred years, I'm told. In Benton, which is the town closest to us, there is a small restaurant that overlooks "Fishing Creek," the biggest of all the creeks around here. We heard that an American eagle had been seen from the big windows, looking for fish. I was enthralled. The closest I'd come to an American eagle was on paper.

These are the signs that tell me I should be here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment